Types are elemental properties assigned to both Temtem and their Techniques. Each type carries different properties, as well as a specific array of strengths and weaknesses against other types. Each Temtem can have up to two types, which determine the effectiveness of different status effects and different types of Techniques. Techniques only deal damage of a single type, which determines is effectiveness against targeted Temtem. The effects and damage of most Techniques can also vary based on the typing of the Temtem using it, or in the case of synergy effects, the typing of the user's ally.
There are a total of 12 different types in Temtem:
- Neutral type
- Represented by the color white, Neutral Temtem lack elemental affiliation and cover a wide range of characteristics, often resembling wild animals. They are prevalent across many islands but are most prominently featured on Kisiwa.
- Wind type
- Represented by the color cyan, Wind Temtem are associated with the air, and all resemble birds or other winged animals. They are most prominent on Deniz.
- Earth type
- Represented by the color brown, Earth Temtem are attuned to the land, often including rocky or sandy aesthetics in their design. They are a common occurrence in the plains of Kisiwa.
- Water type
- Represented by the color blue, Water Temtem are closely tied to bodies of water and often resemble aquatic animals. They can be found anywhere there is water but are associated most heavily with Deniz and its Sillaro River.
- Fire type
- Represented by the color red, Fire Temtem are powerful elemental creatures that often have fiery and aggressive appearances. They are most at home in the mighty Anak Volcano, in Omninesia. Fire Temtem are immune to the Burned Condition.
- Nature type
- Represented by the color green, Nature Temtem embody plant life and the spirit of nature, and are often plant-like in appearance. They can be found on several islands but are closely tied to Omninesia and its mythical Giant Banyan.
- Electric type
- Represented by the color yellow, Electric Temtem harness the powers of electricity, from magnetism to thunderclouds and lightning. They live prominently in the wilderness of Cipanku with few exceptions.
- Mental type
- Digital type
- Represented by the color gray, Digital Temtem are biomechanical constructs with varying degrees of similarity to more "organic" animals. Originally created in the labs of Cipanku, they are still almost entirely exclusive to that island.
- Melee type
- Represented by the color orange, Melee Temtem are physically aggressive creatures that value and embody raw strength, often paired with imposing appearances. They are tied closely to Arbury.
- Crystal type
- Toxic type
- Represented by the color black, Toxic Temtem are hazardous creatures associated with toxins, which thrive in otherwise hostile and unsafe environments. They are most plentiful on the surface of Tucma, but also thrive in the underbelly of Arbury. Toxic Temtem are immune to the Poisoned Condition.
Strengths and weaknesses
The damage dealt by each type of Technique can be modified to be unusually strong or weak when hitting certain types of Temtem. Effective hits deal double their normal damage, while ineffective hits only deal half damage. Each of a Temtem's two types are taken into consideration for the effectiveness of an attack. This can cause a technique that is very effective - effective against both types - to deal x4 the normal damage, or a move that is very ineffective - ineffective against both types - to do only x0.25 damage. Techniques that are effective against one of a Temtem's types but ineffective against the other neutralize both effects to deal the normal x1 damage. Below is the full type chart for each type's individual effectiveness against itself and its counterparts.
A defending Temtem is considered to have a "weakness" to a certain type if the damage multiplier against it is greater than 1x, and is said to have a "resistance" if the multiplier is less than 1x. For example, the fire type has a weakness to the water type, because water techniques do 2x damage to fire types. In return, water has a resistance to fire because fire techniques used against water Temtem have a damage multiplier of 0.5x. Combining different types together can affect these weaknesses and resistances, sometimes making them more extreme and sometimes cancelling them out altogether. Below is a full table of the number of weaknesses and resistances for each possible dual type combination, as well as a count of the number of Temtem that have been announced to have that particular type combination.
Number of weaknesses and resistances
|Type 1||Type 2||Weaknesses||Resistances||Temtem|
- There are a few types that are hinted at in-game but do not actually exist.
- The existence of a Brine type is proposed by Prof. Ermenegilda in the Sillaro River's salt flats, which would combine the characteristics of the Water and Earth into a single type.
- An Ice typing is hinted at by NPCs in Kilima Peaks, likely as a reference to the prevalence of Ice as a type in similar games.
- The project by Dr. Hamijo uncovered during the Adventure in the Myrisles story quest is intended to produce a Diamond type by combining the effects of the Fire and Crystal types into a single typing. The result was unsuccessful.
- There are no type combinations that have 0 weaknesses.
- There are 8 type combinations that have only 1 weakness, 3 of which are only a single type.
- There are 7 combinations that have the maximum number of resistances at 5.